Lecturer and Head of Department of Botany, College Of Natural And Applied Sciences
Undergraduate and postgraduate courses:
- Introduction to mycology
- Introduction to plant physiology
- Taxonomy of higher plants
- Plant pathology
- Plant protection
- Advanced plant systematics
Her research interest lies on understanding how plants (both terrestrial and aquatic) respond to abiotic and biotic stresses. She has also researched on plant systematics, particularly on Genus Coffea L using morphological and molecular approach.
- Michael G, Nyomora AMS, Mvungi EF and Sangu EM (2020). Endophytic fungi for biological control of whitefly and tomato leaf miner in Tanzania. African Crop Science Journal 28 (4): 529 – 542.
- Hollander J., Linden O , Gudka M , Duncan M I, Obura D, James N, Bhagooli R, Nyanapah J, Onyango C, Duvane J, Louis Y, Ngotho D, Mvungi E et al……., and (2020). Marine Organisms Response to Climate Change Effects in the Western Indian Ocean. Journal of Indian Ocean Rim Studies, January- June 2020 Volume 3, Issue 1 (Special Issue on Blue Economy).
- Mbaga W and Mvungi EF (2019). Effects of Seasons and zonation on biochemical contents of two seagrass species along Dar es Salaam coast. Tanzania Journal of Science. 45 (3): 490 – 501.
- Mwanga ZN and Mvungi EF, Tibuhwa DD (2019). Antimicrobial activities of endophytic fungi secondary metabolites from Moringa oleifera Lam. Tanzania Journal of Science 45 (3): 463-476.
- Mvungi EF and Pillay D (2019). Eutrophication overrides warming as a stressor for a temperate African seagrass (Zostera capensis). PLoS ONE 14(4):e0215129. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0215129 April 2019
- Kajela A and Mvungi EF (2018): Seasonal variation and nutrient levels influences phenolic contents in seagrass Thalassia hemprichii along Dar es Salaam coast. Tanzania Journal of Science 44(3): 61-71.
- Ndangalasi HJ; Mligo C, and Mvungi EF. (2014). Composition and size class structure of tree species in Ihang’ana forest reserve, Mufindi district, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal Science. 40: 1-12
- Mvungi EF, Lyimo TJ, Björk M (2012) When Zostera marina is intermixed with Ulva, its photosynthesis is reduced by increased pH and lower light, but not by changes in light quality. Aquatic Botany 102: 44-49
- Mvungi EF and Mamboya FA (2012) Photosynthetic performance, epiphyte biomass and nutrient content of two seagrass species in two areas with different level of nutrients along the Dar es Salaam coast. African Journal of Marine Science. 34(3): 323-330
- Mvungi EF (2011). Seagrass and Eutrophication: Interaction between seagrass photosynthesis, epiphytes, macroalgae and mussels. Doctoral Thesis at Stockholm University, Sweden. 44 pp. ISBN 978-91-7447-250-9
- Mamboya FA, Lugomela C, Mvungi E, Hamisi M, Kamukuru AT and Lyimo TJ (2009) Seagrass–sea urchin interaction in shallow littoral zones of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 19: S16-S26.
- Lyimo, T. J., Mvungi, E.F and Mgaya, Y.D (2008) Abundance and Diversity of Seagrass and Macrofauna in the inter-tidal areas with and without Seaweed farming activities in the East Coast of Zanzibar. Tanzania Journal of Science, 34: 41-52.
- Maurin, O, A. P. Davis, M. Chester, E.F. Mvungi, Y. Jaufeerally-Fakim & M.F. Fay (2007). Towards a Phylogeny for Coffea (Rubiaceae): Identifying Well-supported Lineages Based on Nuclear and Plastid DNA Sequences. Annals of Botany 1–19.
- Lyimo, TJ., Mvungi, E.F., Lugomela, C., and Bjork, M (2006). Seagrass Biomass and Productivity in seaweed and non-seaweed farming areas in the East Coast of Zanzibar. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine sciences 5(2): 141 -152
- Davis, A.P and Mvungi, E.F. (2004). Two new and endangered species of Coffea (Rubiaceae) from the Eastern Arc Mountains (Tanzania) and notes on the associated conservation issues. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 146: 237-245.
- Mvungi, E.F. (2004). Morphological and molecular systematics of the Genus Coffea L. (Rubiaceae) in the Eastern Arc Mountains and Lowland Eastern Tanzania Forests. Master thesis, University of Dar es Salaam. 121 pp.
- Mvungi, EF (2001). Patterns of resource allocation in Bidens pilosa grown under green house conditions. A third year project report for the fulfillment of Bachelor of Science at the University of Dar es Salaam.