KESSY FIDEL KILULYA
Senior Lecturer (Analytical and Environmental Chemistry) and Head of Chemistry Department, College Of Natural And Applied Sciences
PhD (Chemistry); Specialized in Analytical Chemistry, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Analytical and Environmental Chemistry;
- Instrumental Methods in Analytical Chemistry;
- Environmental Chemistry
- Systematic Inorganic Chemistry
- Quality Control and Assurance
- Methods in Environmental Chemical Analysis (Course for the PhD in Environmental Sciences);
- Advanced Analytical Chemistry and Instrumentation (Course for MSc Chemistry),
- Analytical Biochemistry (Course for MSc Biochemistry)
- Environmental Chemistry (Course for MSc Integrated Environmental Management), and,
- .Environmental Analytical Methods (Course for MSc Integrated Environmental Management)
Research Interests: Analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry, material science and chemometrics
- Preparation, characterization and applications of molecularly imprinted polymers (MIP) and other adsorbents for selective removal of water contaminants
- biomolecule indicators and lipophilic extractives in blue-green algae in relation to biotoxic metabolite production and contamination of freshwater bodies
- Analysis of chemical cellulose contaminants (i.e. lipophilic extractives) and their effects on the quality of chemical cellulose
- Investigation of the levels of aflatoxins in maize and maize products from selected Regions of Tanzania
- Formulation, Chemical Characterization and Performance Test of Water Based Drilling Mud from Local Materials Found in Tanzania. Implemented through UDSM Grant Award 2018.
- Bio-waste Materials as Viable Option for Renewable Energy, Sustainable Agriculture and Carbon Sequestration in Tanzania. Implemented through UDSM Grant Award 2020.
- Promoting STEM Education via Manufacturing Innovative Low Cost Equipment for Teaching Laboratories in Tanzania. Implemented through UDSM Grant Award 2020.
- A collaborating member in the consortium which is currently running an Africa Centre of Excellence for Water Management (ACEWM) hosted by the University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, funded by World Bank; 2016 – 2020.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A. M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J. Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush. “Imidazolium Ionic Liquids as Dissolving Solvents for Chemical-Grade Cellulose in the Determination of Fatty Acids Using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry” BioResources, 6(3), (2011), 3272-3288.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A. M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J, Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush. Study of the fate of lipophilic wood extractives during acid-sulphite pulping process by ultrasonic solid-liquid extraction and gas chromatography mass spectrometry. Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology, 32 (2012) 253-267.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A. M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J, Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush. Ionic liquid-liquid extraction and supported liquid membrane analysis of lipophilic wood extractives from dissolving pulp. Chromatographia, 75 (2012) 513-520.
- K. F. Kilulya, T. A. Msagati, B. B. Mamba, J. C. Ngila and T. Bush, Controlling the release of wood extractives into water bodies by selecting suitable Eucalyptus species. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, (2012), Parts A/B/C 50–52:217-223.
- KF Kilulya, TAM Msagati, BB Mamba, JC Ngila and T Bush, Determination of Lipophilic Extractives in Ionic Liquid Extracts of Eucalyptus Pulp by Gas Chromatography - Mass Spectrometry. Tanzania Journal of Science, (2012), 38(3), 14-26.
- KF Kilulya and GS Mhinzi, Evaluation of Patterns and Spatial Trends of Pesticide Residues from Vikuge Farm, Coast Region, Tanzania by Principal Components Analysis. Tanzania Journal of Science, (2012), 38(3), 184-200.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A.M. Msagati and Bhekie B. Mamba Ionic Liquid-Based Extraction of Fatty Acids from Blue- Green Algal Cells Enhanced by Direct Transesterification and Determination Using GC × GC-TOFMS, Chromatographia, , (2014), 77, 479 – 486.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A.M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J. Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush, Effect of Site, Species and Tree Size on the Quantitative Variation of Lipophilic Extractives in Eucalyptus Woods Used for Pulping in South Africa, Industrial Crops and Products, (2014), 56, 166 – 174.
- D. T. Maiga, T. A. M. Msagati, K. F. Kilulya and B. B. Mamba; Preparation of SPE hybrid mesoporous silica sorbents for the analysis and removal of organic pollutants in water, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of the Earth (2014), Parts A/B/C,72 – 75; 83 – 87.
- Joseph Sempombe, Veronica Mugoyela, Matobola Joel Mihale, Abdallah Zacharia1, Pius Ipagala and Kessy Fidel Kilulya; Preliminary in vivo antitrypanosomal activity and cytotoxicity of Entada abyssinica, Securinega virosa and Ehretia amoena; East and Central African Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; Vol. 17 (2014) 37-43.
- Geovin Mgoyela, Joseph Sempombe , Kessy Fidel Kilulya, Mhina Chambuso , Veronica Mugoyela and Eliangiringa Kaale; A Quantitave Near Infrared Spectroscopy Model for the Assay of Efavirenz in Tablets; East and Central African Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; Vol. 17 (2014), 54-62.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A. M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba. Book Title: “Ionic Liquids – Current State of the Art”; Chapter title (Chapter 13): Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids as Solvents for Analysis of Lipophilic Extractives from Biomass. Ionic Liquids; Book edited by: Dr. Scott Handy, ISBN 978-953-51-2122-0, InTech, (2015), 351 – 364. http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/59075.
- Kessy F Kilulya, Bhekie B Mamba and Titus AM Msagati; Extraction Procedures and GCxGC-TOFMS Determination of Fatty Acids (FAs) in Cyanobacteria Cultures and the Effect of Growth Media Iron Concentration Variation on Cellular FAs Composition; Journal of Environmental and Analytical Toxicology, (2015), S7:S7-009, doi:10.4172/2161-0525.S7-009.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A.M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J. Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush, Evaluation of the Influence of Lipophilic Extractives on Dissolving Pulp Quality Parameters by Partial Least Squares Method of Chemometrics, NPPRJ, Volume 30, Issue No. 3, (2015) 402-410.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A.M. Msagati and Bhekie B. Mamba, Effect of Natural Blue-Green Algal Cells Lysis on Freshwater Quality. Tanzania Journal of Science, (2017), 43(10), 83 – 94.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Preparation, Characterisation and Application of Molecularly Imprinted Polymers for the Selective Removal of Sterols from Water. Tanzania Journal of Science (2018), 44(2), 27-44.
- Faustin N Ngassapa, Othman C Othman, David Mihayo and Kessy F. Kilulya, Speciation of Lead, Chromium, Cadmium, Copper and Zinc in Sediments and Plants along Msimbazi River in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Science, (2018). 44(3), 136 – 151.
- Mahugija, John AM, Zainab S. Kasenya, and Kessy F. Kilulya. "Levels of heavy metals in urine samples of school children from selected industrial and non-industrial areas in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania." African Health Sciences (2018): 18(4) 1226-1235.
- Mtega, Macarius, Clarence A. Mgina, Eliangiringa Kaale, Joseph Sempombe, and Kessy F. Kilulya. "Occurrence of Aflatoxins in Maize and Maize Products from Selected Locations of Tanzania and the Effects of Cooking Preparation Processes on Toxin Levels." Tanzania Journal of Science 46, no. 2 (2020): 407-418.
- Mahugija, John AM, Zainab S. Kasenya, and Kessy F. Kilulya. "Variations of Concentrations of Lead, Zinc, Iron, Copper and Cadmium in Urine of Primary School Pupils in Relation to Age, Sex and Academic Performance." Tanzania Journal of Science 46.2 (2020): 190-204.
- Magori J. Nyangi, Yonas Chebude, Kessy F. Kilulya. Fluoride Removal Efficiencies of Al-EC and Fe-EC Reactors: Process Optimization using Box–Behnken Design of the Surface Response Methodology. Applied Water Science, (2020) 10:214; 1 - 11. Published online 07 September, 2020.
- Magori J. Nyangi , Yonas Chebude, Kessy F. Kilulya & Minu Andrew Simultaneous removal of fluoride and arsenic from water by hybrid Al-Fe electrocoagulation: process optimization through surface response method ((2020)), DOI:10.1080/01496395.2020.1837877. Published online 29 October 2020.
- John A. M. Mahugija, Anastazia N. Wandwi and Kessy F. Kilulya, Comparison of centrifugation and solid phase extraction (SPE) methods of sample preparations in determination of residues of drugs of abuse in urine, Tanzania Journal of Science, Vol. 46(3), 2020.585 – 596. Published online 30 October 2020.
Papers In Conferences and Workshops
- K. Fidel and G. S. Mhinzi, “Evaluation of Patterns and Spatial Trends of Pesticide Residues Data from Vikuge Farm, Coast Region, Tanzania by Chemometric Methods”. A paper presented at “International Conference on Pesticide Use in Developing Countries: Environmental Fate, Effects and Public Health Implications” 16th-20th October, 2006. AICC, Arusha, Tanzania.
- K. F. Kilulya, T. A. M. Msagati and J. C. Ngila; “The Application of Hollow Fibre Supported Liquid Membranes (HFSLM) in the Extraction of Agrochemical Residues from Water Samples”. A poster presented at “International Conference on Chemistry for Food Security and Sustainable Development” 5th - 8th July, 2009. Manzini, Swaziland.
- Kessy Fidel Kilulya, Titus Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush; “Assessment of imidazolium-based room temperature ionic liquids as solvents for dissolving pulp and the determination of fatty acids in the solution using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry”. A paper presented at ‘Analitika 2010 Conference’ International conference on analytical sciences’; 5th – 9th December, 2010. Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
- Kessy Fidel Kilulya, Titus A. M. Msagati, Bhekie B. Mamba, J. Catherine Ngila and Tamara Bush; “Determination of lipophilic extractives in ionic liquid extracts of eucalyptus pulp by gas chromatography-electron ionization-mass spectrometry”. A paper presented at ‘The 2nd Tanzania Chemical Society (TCS) International Conference’ Chemistry for the Improvement of Life’; 5th – 7th October, 2011. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Kessy Fidel Kilulya, T. A. Msagati, B. B. Mamba, J. C. Ngila and T. Bush, “Control Of Extractives Release into Water Bodies from Pulping by Selecting Suitable Eucalyptus Species”. A paper presented at the 12th WaterNet/WARFSA/GWP-SA Symposium; 26th – 28th October, 2011, Maputo, Mozambique.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Titus A.M. Msagati and Bhekie B. Mamba, Effect of Natural Blue-Green Algal Cell Lysis on Water Quality. A paper presented at the 14th WaterNet/WARFSA/GWP-SA Symposium; 30thOctober – 01st November, 2013, Whitesands Hotel, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Kessy F. Kilulya, Preparation, Characterisation and Application of Molecularly Imprinted Polymers for the Selective Removal of Sterols from Water. A paper presented at ‘The 3rd Tanzania Chemical Society (TCS) International Conference and 6th FASC Congress’ Chemistry for Improvement Livelihhod; 11th – 15th September, 2017; Naura Springs Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania.
- Omary Paul, Makungu Madirisha, Emanuel Xwaymay, Kessy. F. Kilulya, Esther H. J. Lugwisha, Formulation of Water Based Drilling Mud from Tanzanian Kaolin Clays and Biopolymers. A paper presented at “The 3rd International Tanzania Energy Platform Conference in Zanzibar, Tanzania: 9th -11th March, 2020”