Specifically, the Directorate of Research and Public is in charge of the following:
- Facilitate communication of all matters regarding Research and Publication activities to UDSM units;
- Facilitate creation and maintenance of interdisciplinary research groups and centres both internally and externally;
- Facilitate engagement, creation and maintenance of collaborative research links with industry, other research institutions, local donors, and foreign donors in a proactive way;
- Guide the activities with respect to Research and Publication by setting goals and standards, by supporting initiatives and new directions in these areas;
- Ensure transmission and implementation of decisions made by University organs;
- Liase with government departments, private and public sector organisations, donor agencies and education institutions on issues related to Research and Publication; and
- Promote research and publication culture to UDSM staff and students.