Coordinator: Dr. M. Semkunde
Special Needs and Disabilities
The Unit offers special educational needs to students with special needs. These include students with visual impairment (blind and low vision), hearing impairment (deaf and hard of hearing), and physical impairment. The Unit operates at the School level while its main mission is to enrich into the broader functions of the University of Dar es Salaam Special Education Needs Unit, which are:-
- Transcription of ink prints into Braille format
- Preparation of talking books and tactile materials whenever required for students with visual impairment.
- Organizing and conducting orientation and mobility training for students with disabilities at the beginning of each academic year.
- Facilitation of acquisition, keeping, and distribution of equipment and other learning materials to students with disabilities
- Recruiting of readers for students with visual impairment and note takers for students with hearing impairment.
- Day to day guidance and counseling to students with disabilities, readers and note takers
- Facilitating students with disabilities to efficiently conduct their duties during the field / practical training
- Promoting public awareness to the university community about rights and potentials of persons with disabilities.
- Sign language interpretation for deaf students during teaching sessions
- Training in use of assistive devices to students with disabilities
- Minor services and maintenance of assistive devices/equipment available in the unit.
Organizing and supervising recreational activities and study tours for students with disabilities