Theodora Mwenegoha is Lecturer at the Department of Private Law. She holds a Bachelor of Laws degree (2003) and Master of Laws degree (2005) from University of Dar es Salaam. She also has a Doctor of Philosophy degree (2015) from Bond University, Australia. Dr Mwenegoha specializes in cyber laws, commercial laws, intellectual property laws, competition and consumer protection laws, and research and ethics law. Dr. Mwenegoha is an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and Subordinate Courts thereto, Commissioner of Oath and Notary Public. She maintains excellent interpersonal and organizational management skills with track record of offering strong contributions from past experiences of being a managing partner of a law firm, serving on boards of charitable and civil society organisations and as a member of Bond University Research Ethics Committee.
Being a proficient legal practitioner, research and an academic, Dr. Mwenegoha has been trusted with wider responsibilities within the University and beyond including serving as a Vice Chairperson of the Institute of Judicial Administration Council from 2016 to date. She is also a member University of Dar es Salaam College of Social Sciences Board from 2016 to date. Dr. Mwenegoha is also an appointed member of the Fair Competition Tribunal (FCT)
Below are some of Dr. Mwenegoha’s selected publications;
- The Development of Consumer Protection Laws in Tanzania for Electronic Consumer Contracts- A thesis submitted in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
- Dissemination of Consumer Law and Policy in Tanzania - Paper presented at the Consumer Protection Law Conference in April 2017 at The University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- I network, iBlog, iBuy, I should be protected? Electronic Consumer Protection in Social Networks and Online forums – Paper presented at the 14th conference of the International Association of Consumer Law, 1-4 July 2013 at The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- I network, iBlog, iBuy, I should be protected? Electronic Consumer Protection in Social Networks and Blogs in Tanzania – Paper presented at the Higher Degree by Research Doctoral Showcase Day at Bond University, 11th November 2011, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Right of The Telecommunication Consumers: The Case of Mobile Phone Services In Dar es Salaam, Paper Submitted In Partial Fulfilment of the LL.M Degree Requirements at The University of Dar Es Salaam, November 2003
- Tanzania’s Involvement In International Consumer Protection: Case of Telecommunication Consumers, Coursework Paper Submitted In Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements of the Master of Laws (LL.M) Degree of the University of Dar es Salaam 2003/2004
- Trade Liberalisation and Rights of Telecommunication Consumers, 2003, Coursework Paper Submitted in Partial Fulfilment of the LL.M Degree Requirements at the University of Dar es S Salaam.
- The Laws Governing Carriage of Goods By Sea and the Need For Uniformity: Analytical Review, Coursework Paper Submitted in Partial Fulfilment Of The LL.M Degree Requirements at the University of Dar es Salaam, 2003/2004
- Testing For HIV And The Rights of the People Infected With HIV/AIDS: Case Study of Marriage Conditions And Medical Malpractice, Dissertation Submitted in Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements For The Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) Degree of the University of Dar es Salaam 2002/2003
Consultancy and Research Report
Dr. Mwenegoha has been involved in the following projects;
- Mapping and Accelerating the Commercialization of the University Based Research Results/Projects: A Case Study of Universities of Tanzania – Ongoing
- Harmonization of Cyber Laws Among East African Member Countries: Multi-Jurisdiction Initiatives in Combating Cyber Welfare - Ongoing
- Regulating Social Media and Online Forums in Tanzania: Safeguarding the Welfare of Online Consumers – On going
- Consultant: Survey on the Financial Inclusion Program for School Children Contracted by NEXGEN with Support from CRDB Bank, 2017
- Consultant: A Survey on Human Rights Education for Anti-Stigma Campaign for People Living with and Affected by HIV, Christian Council of Tanzania, 2014
Dr. Mwenegoha has supervised several undergraduate and postgraduate students in vast areas including Cyber law and Intellectual Property for LL.M students. Currently, Dr. Mwenegoha is co-supervising one PhD candidateBarnabas Pascal Nyalusi, who is examining Copyright and Neighbouring Rights in Tanzania: Legal Challenges In Enforcement: Lessons From Kenya, South Africa and U.K.