Angelo Mtitu Mapunda is an Associate Professor of Law at the School. For 40 years now, Professor Mapunda has stayed with the School witnessing it passing through various times. Professor Mapunda, an expert in the Law of Civil Procedure and Dispute Resolutions, holds a Bachelor of Law degree (LL. B-1977) and a Master of Law degree (LL. M-1981), University of Dar es Salaam, and a Doctor of Law degree (PhD-1987) from University of Warwick, United Kingdom.
Prof Mapunda’s time within the School has seen him engaged in different administrative positions. Between 1990-92, he was an Acting Dean of the Faculty. He headed the Department of Constitutional and Administrative Law from 1991-1997. From 1998-2003, he was the head of the Economic Law Department. Also, from 1992-1995 he was the chairperson of the Legal Aid Committee.
Professor Mapunda has had several academic engagements outside the University. For example, he has been a part-time lecturer and examiner at Open University of Tanzania from 2004 to date. He also lectured the Law School of Tanzania between 2007-2010. Regarding examination, he has been an external examiner in Law at various universities. Some of them are the University of Mzumbe, St Augustine University, Open University of Tanzania, Mushi University of Cooperative and Business Studies and Tumaini University Makumira.
Within Tanzania’s judiciary, and in legal practice, Professor Mapunda’s positive engagement is ubiquitous. For example, he has been a Commissioner of Judiciary Service Commission since August 2013. He has also been a member of Tanzania Council of Legal Education from 1998 to 2014. He has been working with the judiciary in different capacities, primarily by offering legal training to members of the judiciary. He has also participated in various studies and consultancies that saw the review of multiple laws. Such laws include the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania 1977, The Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1979 and Court of Appeal Rules 1979, the Government Proceedings Act [ Cap.17]; the Arbitration Act [ Cap.15]; the Appellate Jurisdiction Act [ Cap. 141] and the Civil Procedure Code Act [ Cap.33]; the Magistrates Courts Act [ Cap.11]; the Ward Tribunals Act [Cap.206]; the Courts ( Land Disputes Settlements) Act [Cap.216]; the Tanzania Evidence Act [ Cap.6] and the Law of Limitation Act [ Cap.89].
Professor Mapunda is an advocate of the High Court of Tanzania since 1989. He is also a member of Tanganyika Law Society and the East Africa Law Society; Bar Associations for Tanzania mainland and East African Countries respectively. He has worked at various law firms with great Tanzanian legal minds such as Dr Ringo Tenga, Prof Costa Mahalu, Hon Sinde Warioba, the late Prof Jwani Mwaikusa and Prof Florens Luoga. Currently, Professor Mapunda is the Managing Partner at FK Law Chambers; one of Tanzania’s prestigious law firm with international recognitions.
Professor Mapunga may be contact at
Professor Mapunda has extensive publications in his areas of specialisation. Below are some of his selected writings.
Articles in Referred Journals
- “The Law, Procedures and Policies on Enrollment to the Bar in Tanzania and How They Impact on Cross-Border Legal Practice within the East African Community”; ORIENT JOURNAL OF LAW AND SOCIAL STUDIES, VOL.1X, ISSUE 4, MARCH 2015 Pages 23-36.
- “General Administration of the Court of Appeal Rules 2009 and Delivery of Justice in Tanzania”; Accepted for Publication:
- “Basics in Preparing a Memorandum of Appeal and Skeletal Arguments”; Accepted for Publication in THE NYERERE LAW JOURNAL, VOL.2, 2014
- “Trotting to the Court of Appeal without Faltering: An Examination of the Basic Steps in Appealing to the Court of Appeal to Tanzania” in the OPEN UNIVERSITY LAW JOURNAL, Faculty of Law, Open University of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam; Vol.2 No.1, July 2008, (pages 32-50);
- “The Effectiveness of Criminal Law in Regulating Sexual Behaviour: An Empirical Analysis of the Sexual Offences Special Provisions Act 1998, Act No.4 Cap.101; R.E.2002)” in the OPEN UNIVERSITY LAW JOURNAL, Faculty of Law, Open University of Tanzania, Dar Es Salaam; Vol. 1, No.2, December 2007 (pages77-109);
- ” Employment Law and HIV/Aids at Places of Work in Tanzania” Paper Presented at UNDP/National Workshop on Law, Ethics, Human Rights and HIV Aids- Prevention and Control in Tanzania, 13-15th January 1997. East Africa Law Review and Journal of Law and Development Vol.28, Dare salaam University Press.
- “Reflections on Stare Decis in the Court of Appeal of the United Republic of Tanzania” authored jointly with M. C. Mukoyogo; A. T. Nguluma in the EASTERN AFRICA LAW REVIEW, VOL.16, NO.2 DEC.1989; (pages 1-23); SPECIAL ISSUE ON THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE COURT OF APPEAL OF TANZANIA published by the Faculty of Law, University of Dar es Salaam.
- “Some Reflections on the Regulation of Prices Act, 1973;” in LAW REFORM BULLETIN, Vol.1, No. 2, 1987; published by the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam.
- Author of “Proceedings against the Government in Tanzania” (2008) Chapter 11; Part 111 of the Book titled “HUMAN RIGHTS, CONSTITUTIONALISM AND THE JUDICIARY: Tanzanian and Irish Perspectives” edited by William Binchy & Catherine Finnegan; Clarus Press, Dublin, Republic of Ireland (pages 153-170).
- Author of “Standardizing the Criteria for Admission to Practice Law in East Africa” in the book on LAW&JUSTICE IN TANZANIA: A QUARTER OF A CENTURY OF THE COURT OF APPEAL OF TANZANIA” (2007); Chapter 16 pages 277-311) Nyota & Mkuki Publishers; Dar es Salaam. The article appears in the EAST AFRICAN LAWYER, the Official Magazine of the East African Law Society; Issue No. 9 of December 2005; Nairobi, Kenya
- Author of “Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Tanzania” in the book on LEGAL ASPECTS OF DOING BUSINESS IN AFRICA; Chapter 9 (pg. 209-223) in Campbell, D. & others (edit.); published by Kluwer Law and Taxation Publishers- Nijhoff Publishing House, Netherlands, 1987.
- Co-Author of Law on “ Doing Business 2008: Comparing Regulation in 178 Economies”; published jointly by the WORLD BANK: INTERNATIONAL BANK FOR RECONSTRUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT & INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION, Washington, D.C., U.S.A. October 29, 2007.
Papers Presented at Seminars and Conferences in Retrieval Form
- “The Judicial Service Commission of the United Republic of Tanzania” Paper Presented to a Seminar for Supreme Court Judges and Chief Justices from East and Central Africa on Judicial Service Commissions in the Commonwealth, held at the Zambezi Sun Hotel, Livingstone, Zambia from 5th-7th September 2014.
- “Law Development for the People: Stakeholders Participation in the Law Reform Process: Law Reform Commission of Tanzania 30th Anniversary, Reviewing, Reforming and Informing”, A Paper Presented at a Workshop to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania held at the Serena Hotel Dar es Salaam on 28th November 2013.
- Basics in Preparing a Memorandum of Appeal under the Court of Appeal Rules, 2009”, A paper presented to a conference of advocates of the Dar es Salaam Chapter, Continuing Legal Education Workshop held at Ubungo Plaza, Dar es Salaam on 1st March 2013.
- “Approaches to Improving Quality Legal Aid Services in Tanzania” Paper presented at a Workshop on Approaches to Improving Legal Aid Services in Tanzania organised by the Legal Services Facility jointly by the Government of Denmark and Government of the United Republic of Tanzania held at Kunduchi Beach Hotel, Dar es Salaam. Published as Workshop Notes, Legal Aid in Progress Workshop 01 January 18-19, 2012.
- “Proposed Amendments to the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania, 1977; the Appellate Jurisdiction Act, 1979 and the Court of Appeal Rules, 1979” A paper presented to a three-day Seminar of the Judges of the Court of Appeal of Tanzania, at the Courtyard Hotel, Dar es Salaam, Dec.18th-21st, 2008.
- “Position Paper on Review of the Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1979 and the Court of Appeal Rules, 1979” A paper presented to a conference of lawyers from academics, State Attorneys, Advocates and lawyers in public and private service at the Court Yard Hotel, Dar es Salaam, 4th October 2008.
- “The Bank of Tanzania Act 2006 and the Banking and Financial Institutions Act, 2006: A Socio-Legal Analysis” A Paper presented to the Tanganyika Law Society workshop on Continuing Legal Education held at the Paradise Hotel, Bagamoyo on 11th August 2006
- “The Rules of the Court of Appeal”, Paper presented to Tanzanian Judges and judges from other countries to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Court of Appeal of Tanzania, held at the Sheraton Hotel 15th-17th September 2004.
- “Principles of Drafting Documents for Court Proceedings” Paper presented at a Training Workshop in Civil Procedure for Zanzibar Lawyers held at Jambiani Hotel 18-31 December 2005.
- “Acquisition of Land by Public Right of Way (Way-leave)”; A Review of the Law and Procedure for Land Acquisition for Public Projects submitted to the Ministry of Water on Acquisition of Land for the Mwanza-Kahama Water Project, May 2003, Dar es Salaam; Ministry of Water and Livestock Development.
- “The Role of the Council of Legal Education in the Supervision and Control of Legal Education in Tanzania” A Discussion Paper submitted to the Council for Legal Education containing proposals for compulsory courses to be taught in all law schools in Tanzania, Council of Legal Education, Dar Es Salaam, March 2003.
- Review of the Teaching of LW 313 [Public Enterprises] in the Faculty of Law, Department of Economic Law, December 1998.
- “Proceedings against the Government in Tanzania”, a Paper presented to joint Irish-Tanzanian Judges conference held at the Faculty of Law, UDSM, on 21st September 1998.
- “Conditions for the Functioning of a Democratic Constitution”, Paper Presented to Lawyers Conference on CONSTITUTIONALISM AND THE LEGAL SYSTEM IN A DEMOCRACY, held at the Novotel Hotel, Arusha from 28th-30th March 1992.
- “The Law Relating to the Formation of Joint Ventures in Tanzania”, Paper presented to Parastatal and Public Service Lawyers Seminar, at Hotel Seventy-Seven, Arusha in December 1991.
- “The Incorporation of Foreign and Local Companies in Tanzania”, Paper Presented to a Seminar for Parastatal and Public Service Lawyers at Hotel 77, Arusha in December 1989.
- “The Law on the Pricing of Public Enterprise Goods and Services”, Paper Presented to a seminar for Parastatal and Public Service Lawyers, at Hotel 77 Arusha, December 1988.
- “Some Reflections on the teaching of Legal Methods in the Faculty of Law University of Dar es Salaam”, Paper presented to the Conference on East African Law Subject Teachers Conference, held in Dar es Salaam, in October 1986.
- “New Trends in Cooperative Legislation in Tanzania”, Paper presented to staff/student seminar Faculty of Law, March 1980.
- “The Law and Practice Relating to Compensation for Road Accident Victims” LLM coursework Paper, Faculty of Law, UDSM 1979.
- “The Law of Defamation and the Protection of Political and Public Officials”;
- “Consumer Protection and the Law”,
Professor Mapunda has participated in the drafting of the following legislation
- The Tanzania Court of Appeal Rules, 2009,( GN No.368 published on 6th November 2009 and brought into commencement By GN.36 of 29th January 2010); the United Republic of Tanzania: Government Printer, Dar es Salaam, Nov.2009; (pages 1-86)
- Draftsman (jointly with students Lugano Mwandambo and Shauri)Students by-Laws 1992 for the University of Dar es Salaam, [University of Dar es Salaam, under the auspices of the Students Welfare Committee of University of Dar es Salaam,] Dar es Salaam University Press; 1992
Research/ Consultancy Reports
- “A Comprehensive Review of the Civil Justice System in Tanzania” A Position Paper for the Law Reform Commission/Court of Appeal of Tanzania, March 2012. Available on Internet at: Google: https://academia.edu/t/M7WAx/keypass/
- “ Review of the Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1979 and Court of Appeal Rules 1979” (drafting of Court of Appeal Rules 2009), Law Reform Commission of Tanzania ( available from the website of Law Reform Commission of Tanzania at ; https://academia.edu/t; https://google.co.tz;
- “Review of Magistrates Courts Act, The Ward Tribunals Act 1985; The Courts (Land Disputes Settlements) Act 2002; the Tanzania Evidence Act 1967 and the Law of Limitation Act;” Consultancy for the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania (submitted Report in June 2012);[ Available from website of Law Reform Commission of Tanzania ; https://academic.edu/tz ].
- “Review of the Government Proceedings Act 1967; the Arbitration Act; the Appellate Jurisdiction Act and the Civil Procedure Code 1966” [Consultancy for the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania; Report submitted in June 2012] Available from website of Law Reform Commission of Tanzania
- “Peer Review of the Draft Report in Respect of the Comprehensive Review and Drafting of Laws Relating to Civil Justice System conducted by Law Society of England and Wales”, Law Reform Commission of Tanzania, November 2010
Training and Courses Attended
- Workshop on Law School Deans, American Bar Association, New York University, December, 14th - 17th 1994.
- Protection and Enforcement of Human Rights, Human Rights Resources Documentation Centre, Geneva Switzerland and European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg, France, September 1993.
- Establishing and Protecting Human Rights: Perspectives from national and International Perspectives, University of Belfast, Ireland 30th June to 9th July 1993.
- Establishing Human Rights Resources Units, Law School, University of Warwick and Human Rights Resources Centre (HURRIDOCS), Geneva Switzerland July 1991-October 1992;
- Establishing Human Rights Data Base, at European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg, France, August 1991.