DR. LAUREAN LAURENT MUSSA
Laurean Laurent Mussa is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Private Law. He joined the University as a Tutorial Assistant in February 2008. An experienced scholar in land law, Dr. Mussa holds Bachelor of Laws degree (LL. B-2007), Master of Laws degree (LL. M-2009) and Doctor of Philosophy in Law degree (Ph. D-2016) from the University of Dar es Salaam. He is also an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania, Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths. Dr. Mussa is a member of the Tanganyika Law Society, the Bar Association for Mainland Tanzania.
Within the School, Dr Mussa has had several administrative responsibilities. Between 2011 & 2012, Dr. Mussa was an Assistant Liaison Officer of the Law School Programme hosted by the then Faculty of Law. In 2012, Dr. Mussa was the School’s Timetable Coordinator. Between March 2017 and November 2020, Dr. Mussa served as the School’s Examination Officer. Currently, Dr. Mussa serves as Acting Head, Department of Public Law. Dr. Mussa was a member of the World Commission on Environmental Law between 2016 and 2020. He can be contacted via Lauremussa2003@udsm.ac.tz and email@example.com
Research and Publications
(i)Books and Book Chapters
- Pubic Law: A Student’s Manual (Certificate in Law), Dar es Salaam: Dar es Salaam University Press, 2020
- “Harmonization of the Cybercrimes Legal Framework in Rwanda”, in Majamba, H.I. & Mwiburi, A.J.(Editors), Harmonization of Cybercrimes Legal Frameworks within the East African Community, Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam, 2020, pp. 55 - 78
- Materu, S.F & Mussa, L., “A Survey of the Policy and Legal Framework for Oil and Gas in Tanzania Prior to 2015” in Kweka, O.L. & Majamba, H.I.(Eds.), Scientific, Legal and Socio-Economic Aspects of Oil and Gas in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam, 2018, pp.23 - 39
- “Freedom of Expression and Media Laws in Tanzania: A Critical Appraisal”, Media Research Papers, Media Council of Tanzania, 2011, pp. 101-157
- “Legal Implications of Protection of Informal Settlements on Urban Land Use Planning in Tanzania”, Vol. 47, Issue 1, Eastern Africa Law Review, June 2020, pp. 68 - 93
- “Compulsory Land Acquisition and Third Party Interests under Tanzanian Land Law: The Case of Mortgagees and Tenants, Vol. 45, Issue 2, Eastern Africa Law Review, December 2018, pp. 91 - 114
- “Integration Process and the Land Question in the East African Community: Prospects and Challenges of Partner States’ Policies and Legislation” Vol.45, Issue No. 2, The African Review: A Journal of African Politics, Development and International Affairs, December 2018, pp.188-198
- “New Rules on Mortgage of Undeveloped and Underdeveloped Land in Tanzania: Issues and Comments”, Vol. 45, Issue 1, Eastern Africa Law Review, June 2018, pp. 1 - 21
- “Foreign Investments and the Future of Customary Land Rights in Tanzania: Examining Legal Challenges under the Land Acts”, Vol.2, Issue2, Nyerere Law Journal, 2014, pp. 1-23
(iii)Research Reports/ Consultancies
- “Policy and Legal Framework Analysis on Seeds in Tanzania”, Tanzania Organic Agriculture Movement(TOAM), 2018
- “Integrated Planning to Implement the CBD Strategic Plan and Increase Ecosystem Resilience to Climate Change: Tanzania’s Contribution to the Convention on Biological Diversity and Aichi Targets 7 and 11”, International Union for Conservation of Nature, 2016.
- Majamba, H.I., Longopa.E & Mussa, L., “Legal Review Note on the Re-Alignment of the Boundaries of the Kilombero Game Controlled Area”, KILORWEMP & MNRT, 2016.
- Short-term consultant, “Land Use and Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment in Mpanda and Nkasi Districts”, International Union for Conservation of Nature – Tanzania, 2016.
- Majamba, H.I. & Mussa, L., “Integrated Spatial Planning Study: Case Study of Tanzania”, International Union for Conservation of Nature, 2015.
- “Legal and Institutional Aspects of Community Engagement in Management of Mangroves in Tanzania Mainland”,Workshop to Enhance Legal Capacity for Mangrove Management in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, 21-22 February, 2019
- “Urban Housing for the Poor in Tanzania: Policy, Law and the Reality”, Law and Development Research Conference, University of Antwerp, 20 – 22 September, 2017
- “Environmental Management as a Cross-Sectoral Issue In Tanzania: Examining Legal and Practical Challenges Posed by the Urban Land Use Planning Regulatory Framework in Dar Es Salaam City”, IGLP( Harvard Law School) African Regional Writing Workshop, University of Cape Town, 17th – 23rd January, 2016
- “Illegal Dealings in Wildlife and the Law in Tanzania: Examining Pertinent Issues and Challenges with Respect to Poaching and Illegal Wildlife Trade”, Tanzania Wildlife Poaching and Trafficking Workshop, Arusha, 8th – 9th March, 2016